Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Java, .NET, and ECMAScript Regex Compatibility - Expert advice wanted!

I'm trying to figure out the compatibility of regexes for Java, .NET, and ECMAScript. I did a quick skim, but I don't really have the experience to know what practical implications exist. So I'm going fishing here.

At first glance, it seems that ECMAScript 3 regexes are a subset of those for Java or .NET. Does anyone happen to know if this is correct? Any specific practical gotchas encountered?

(Side note, it seems that Perl 5 sure left its mark on the world. It made a semi-standard for half-decent regexes in the world. And I call that a good thing. Even if Perl 6 changed their own regexes again. Side note 2, even if you don't know the answers to my questions, please forward to your friends who might be experts on this matter. Many thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment