Friday, February 20, 2009

Can Has Build ... Again

Well, since javablogs.com was broken, and I'm not sure how to get them to push my entry through, and I actually want people to read this entry (looking to get others thinking about it if at all possible), here's another post just to link to my Can Has Build system description.

Summary, the idea is to beat out Maven for easy conventions and to beat Ant for reliability and low dependencies. As in, win each of those categories big time.

I could have missed it, but I haven't heard of any other Java build systems that work like this one.

So like, here's the link again. Please read and comment (and make it for me?) if you have the time. Thanks much.

2 comments:

  1. Did you look into SBT (simple-build-tool) for Scala (and Java)? It is intended for Scala developers, but supports also compiling Java and the basic idea seems quite similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for the link. I hadn't heard of it before.

    The quick up-and-running, simple configuration for basics, and the focus on API for extensions are related to my suggestions here. However, it definitely doesn't go along with my preferences for limiting dependencies outside the project.

    As an aside, the API overview there just gave me a reminder of how much I dislike the unlimited operator overloading in Scala.

    ReplyDelete