Monday, September 8, 2008

Fan Language

By the way, I should have blogged a while back about the Fan programming language. I got relatively involved in conversation there. And I even got into the code just a bit.

My quickest summary: It's a better Java. As in, it tries to be a nice, clean, accessible language that encourages consistent style and good, readable code. But it's better than Java in that it clears out the cruft (starting with a clean slate, almost), and it's much nicer in the syntax arena. You don't have to slave away to get everyday things done like in Java. And it's still mostly statically typed.

That short review ignores a lot of the details. See the site for more. But as a summary, can you say all the same things about Groovy or Scala (alternative "better Javas")?

That said, I'm still not sure whether I'll be using it in the future. I think it's possible. For now, I think I still want Java's tool support and low-level speed. (Yes, I said "low-level speed" in reference to Java.)

No comments:

Post a Comment